The Parish Council employs a Parish Clerk who is also the Responsible Finance Officer, an Assistant Clerk, one Village Orderly and a Burial Ground gardener.
Clerk & Responsible Finance Officer
- Long Ashton Parish Council,
Long Ashton Community Centre,
Bristol BS41 9DP
- 01275 393551
The Clerk/Responsible Finance Officer (RFO)
The Clerk is the Proper Officer of the council, the Responsible Financial Officer and line manager to all other staff. The clerk carries out the statutory functions of the Proper Officer, prepares and issues public notices, the summons to Councillors and agendas and prepares the draft minutes and
- with the chairman, ensures the council makes legal decisions, acts within the law and that effective meetings are held.
- Provides the council with the appropriate, independent and objective information it needs to make effective decisions.
- Gives advice and implements policy.
- Implements the council's decisions.
- Manages the council's resources in an efficient and effective manner.
- Provides the council with administrative support, keeping records, dealing with correspondence, writing letters and reports, managing elections and casual vacancies, managing property and also projects.
- Represents the council when dealing with the media, the public or other organisations.
- Prepares financial reports to the Finance Committee and Council.
- Prepares draft annual budget and monitors it during the year.
- Carries out the payroll.
- Prepares and balance final accounts and produce accounts and records for external audit in accordance with the current Audit and Accounts Regulations.
- Undertakes internal audits of all aspects of the Council's financial affairs and monitors compliance with the Council's Financial Regulations.
The Assistant Clerk
The Assistant Clerk looks after Environment Committee and Planning Committee, and handles all administration for the Burial Ground at All Saints Church. The Assistant Clerk provides some cover for the Clerk in their absence.
The general remit is to keep the villages looking clean and tidy - litter pick in Leigh Woods and Long Ashton, maintain the supply of dog waste bags by the bins, check on the grit bins, make sure the notice boards, bus shelters, seats are tidy and in good condition and look out for overgrowing vegetation.
Burial Ground Gardener
The Gardener keeps the burial ground looking good by maintaining the beds, borders and Polish memorial garden, removing dog waste, disposing of dead flowers and tributes, keeping bushes and shrubs trimmed and the paths clear and weed free as much as possible. The gardener also looks after the traffic islands where Long Ashton Road meets Clarken Combe.